Understanding Fault vs. Responsibility

Understanding Fault vs. Responsibility

Navigating difficult situations becomes a bit simpler when you begin to grasp the difference between being responsible and not just feeling as though the incident is your fault.  Mike Koles shares the tips and methods for improving your ability to manage difficult situations based on this key different.

Comments

1. Amy Steenbock 4 years ago
    I am not perfect, I make mistakes, I take responsibility for those mistakes, and I learn from them, Our department has had major changes in staffing. During the training process mistakes are made. I will approach the new person explain the mistake, I do not belittle them or blame them. We correct the mistake together. Teamwork.
  2. Lisa Abel 4 years ago
    No whining, no complaining, no excuses, no negativity, these are all -choices- as to how you react to situations or stimuli. If things aren't going as planned I need to remember to focus on how to be more proactive than reactive, everyone benefits.
  3. Gail Bartz 4 years ago
    How many times have we been in a conversation when someone gets defensive and attempts to pass the blame to someone else? It really may be someone else's fault, but I still would rather hear them take responsibility and brainstorm on what we could do to correct the problem - way more productive! I know I also need to be careful not to fall in that trap - just "suck it up" (sorry) and do what needs to be done.
  4. Kay Tellock 4 years ago
    The Fault vs. responsibility had some very good points. I wrote many down. One that really stuck out include a wise saying Seek first to understand before being understood. This is something I know I need to work on. It is something that is so important to do. Take that deep breath and allow yourself a moment to understand the situation and ask questions to clarify details. Once you fully understand the situation you may look at it differently than you had in the beginning. It is then that you can formulate a better answer/reaction to the situation by totally understanding it. Seek first to understand before being understood...very wise words to live by.
  5. Lynae Wudstrack 4 years ago
    I liked how Mike explained the benefits of taking responsiblility and not finding someone on who to lay the blame. Fact is - it could just as easily have been myself to inadvertently make the mistake. We are all human. He also mentioned assuring a customer you will take steps to help it not happen again which goes along with my desire to want to prevent it from happening again by finding ways to be more efficient in whatever process it involves.
  6. Ann 4 years ago
    There are times when situations are out of our control and there is nothing we can do about it, accept it for what it is. sometimes just reminding ourselves "it is what it is", if there are situations that a person can control then they should be able to try whatever it takes to resolve issues.
  7. Dana Bessette 4 years ago
    I think good integrity and character or bad integrity and character go hand in hand. Bad integrity and character can be changed. It all lies in what you want to change, what you can try to change, and what you want to be. There will always be whiners and complainers. You may not be able to change the world as a single person, but you can change your world.
  8. Jessica Martens 4 years ago
    I agree on "you choose to have a bad day." It seems that if you have a good attitude, you have a good day and if you have a bad attitude, you will have a bad day. Think positive and be HAPPY and you can only control some things in your life the rest are out of your control and you will just have to go with the flow.
  9. Tanya Zimmerman 4 years ago
    Some things are out of our control, everyone needs to focus on things that they can control like reactions to situations or attitude. If we focus on those, it will also help people around us.
  10. Char Larsen 4 years ago
    you determine how your day is going to go when you get out of bed. Although we can't control what happens sometimes we can control our attitude and reaction to the events and that is what makes others react.
  11. Jackie Suehring 4 years ago
    I try to understand if I am (or anyone) is in control of an issue. If I can not change it or control it, then deal with it. Life is too short to deal with the stress.
  12. Jeff Wilke 4 years ago
    Some things are out of our control. I need to do a better job concentrating on the things we can control.
  13. Debbie Greenberg 4 years ago
    Gave me something to think about, that I control the day I am going to have and I am responsible for the way the office could or should be working. I never thought that my way of reacting to a situation is my responsible of how the team will react

Comments are closed.